The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) on May 16 issued a voluntary recall for about 55,000 microwave popcorn makers sold by Avon, because of the potential for fire and burns. It said the recall involves popcorn makers sold in the U.S. for about $13 through Avon sales representatives and the company's website between October 2012 and February 2013.
The popcorn makers were made in Taiwan and have the item number 474-105. They consist of a clear tub and a yellow vented lid, the CPSC said. According to the CPSC, when cooked too long, the popcorn in the poppers can overheat and ignite, which could cause a fire or burns. Avon has received 20 reports of the popcorn makers overheating, including two involving fires that resulted in damage to microwave ovens.
No injuries have been reported at press time.