Product of the Year USA (POY), the largest consumer-voted program in North America to recognize innovation among consumer packaged goods, has unveiled its 16 winning products and brands for 2009. Revealed by Phil Lempert, a.k.a. the Supermarket Guru, this year’s winners were voted on by more than 100,000 U.S. consumers. The winners include:
• Air care: Oust Surface Disinfectant and Air Sanitizer (SC Johnson);
• Body care: Olay Spa Exfoliating Ribbons Body Wash (Procter & Gamble;
• Cosmetics: CoverGirl LashBlast Mascara (Procter & Gamble);
• Hair care: Pantene Pro-V Beautiful Lengths (Procter & Gamble);
• Insect repellent: OFF! Smooth & Dry Aerosol (SC Johnson);
• Men’s deodorant: Degree Men Absolute Protection (Unilever);
• Women’s deodorant: Degree Women Ultra Clear (Unilever); and
• Professional hair care: Wella System Professional Gloss On (Procter & Gamble).
Starting in March, these products may feature special “Product of the Year” logos on packaging, advertisements, flyers and in-store displays.
A recent survey conducted by research company, TNS, found that displaying the logo on a package is 25% more effective at generating purchase interest from shoppers than simply displaying the word “new” on a package.
Product of the Year teamed up with TNS, a market information and insight group, to gather the thoughts and opinions of the more than 100,000 U.S. consumers. In October 2008, those consumers voted on more than 40 entries from a variety of categories, and ultimately selected this year’s winners.
“We’re thrilled to bring a sense of clarity and assuredness to shoppers, and help cut back on the stress that seems to go hand-in-hand with searching through the thousands of choices in stores,” said Colleen Kelly, managing director of Product of the Year. “The POY program and red logo take out the guesswork, and let people know a product stands out for its innovation, value, and benefit to the consumer.”
More info: www.productoftheyearusa.com