National starch Personal Care, Bridgewater, NJ, offers a technology and product de-velopment initiative to support manufacturers of products for curly hair. Called CurlScience, the goal of the program is to deliver innovative product concepts, new benchmarks for performance and higher levels of value in customer formulations for this fast-growing market segment, company executives said.
Within the initiative, R&D and concept development work has been conducted by National Starch to deliver state-of-the-art products including shampoos, combing creams, mousses, gels, lotions, milks and serums.
“As a group, consumers with curly hair spend more on hair care products than other people with straight hair, and the curly-haired group is growing in major markets,” said Penny Vanemon, global market manager of hair care, National Starch.
With this in mind, National Starch Personal Care developed a range of formulations including:
• Wind it Up, a shampoo that offers excellent curl definition;
• Under Control combing cream, featuring National Starch’s DynamX polymer for curl definition and volume reduction;
• Twisted!, for all-day performance;
• Unwind, with straightening ef-fects and featuring National Starch’s Amaze XT technology;
• Smooth Move, an anti-frizz lotion with Flexan II and
• Endless Curls, showing how Na-tional Starch technology can “charge” curls throughout an active day.
“CurlScience means that we are working on new concepts for curly hair every day, drawing from an active R&D program, our portfolio of