said they have pinpointed the optimum hairwashing
The researchers conducted tests on more than 500 volunteers
to rate various wetting, lathering and rinsing techniques.
The six-month study resulted in the following suggestions:
• Use running water at 37.5°C.
• For short hair, six mililiters of shampoo should be used;
for medium-length hair, 8 mililiters and for long hair, 10
• Lathering should last 28 seconds, with 20 rubs• Rinsing should last at least 22 seconds, and should be
followed with a second rinse.
• Conditioner should always be used.
• Following the washing/conditioning, hair should be patted
with a towel, then allowed to dry naturally.
“A lot of people ask us about the best way to wash their
hair, so we decided to work out the ideal formula,” explained
Kerys Mullen, technical manager for Unilever’s Dove.