Pacific Trade International Opens First US Plant
• Pacific Trade International, the integrated marketer of candles, home fragrance and home décor products and the company behind the Chesapeake Bay Candle brand, opened its first domestic factory in Glen Burnie, MD on June 28.The factory is the company’s fourth manufacturing facility and its first in the US. It is expected to create about 100 jobs during the next 12 months.
The occasion was celebrated with a grand opening event attended by nearly 200 people including state and local officials, business partners, clients, friends and employees.
Equipped with a state-of-the art research and development center and laboratories for fragrance evaluation, fragrance stability testing, and burn testing, the factory will produce an extensive range of filled vessel candles through standardized, automated production. With over 125,000 sq.ft. of space, the facility will also house a warehouse and operate a distribution center.
“Mei and I came to this country very young with nothing but the American Dream in mind,” said Chesapeake Bay Candle CEO David Wang in his remarks at the opening event. “The US and the beautiful state of Maryland have offered us many incredible opportunities. We are very fortunate and feel thankful for everything we have received. Now we want to do everything we can to pay back this community, the state and this country. This is one of the reasons why we are gathered today to celebrate the opening of our first domestic factory.”
“The opening of the new Chesapeake Bay Candle factory is the beginning of a new chapter in our company’s history,” added Chesapeake Bay Candle president Mei Xu. “Chesapeake Bay Candle is now a true American brand.”
Ashland To Buy International Specialty Products
• Ashland Inc. has agreed to acquire International Specialty Products Inc. (ISP), a global specialty chemical manufacturer of functional ingredients and technologies. Under the terms of the stock purchase agreement, Ashland will pay approximately $3.2 billion for the business in an all-cash transaction.
According to Ashland, ISP will bring high-value, water-soluble polymers and other advanced technologies into Ashland’s functional ingredients business, as well as complementary additives for Ashland’s food and beverage, energy, coatings, adhesives and water treatment markets.
The acquisition is expected to significantly strengthen Ashland’s functional ingredients active patent portfolio and its team of research and development scientists. The result will be a stronger, global functional ingredients business with proven technological and application capabilities to solve customers’ unique formulation challenges, according to the company.
HallStar Acquires OliveChemistry Expert B&T
• The HallStar Company has acquired B&T S.r.l, a developer of high-performance natural ingredients based upon olive chemistry for use in personal care products.The acquisition—HallStar’s second within the naturals segment of the personal care ingredient industry—bolsters HallStar’s position in serving the burgeoning market for personal care products featuring renewable natural ingredients.
B&T’s intellectual property portfolio includes Olivem and Sensolene.
Harmony Labs Is Now Ei, A Pharmaceutical SolutionWorks
• Harmony Labs has announced its new company name and industry classification: Ei, A Pharmaceutical SolutionWorks.
“We’ve created a new name and classification for what we do to reflect the dramatic shift in the way we provide value to our customers. We bring the best development and manufacturing practices and a high-level understanding of branding into outsourced manufacturing. For the right company, we offer a partnership they just can’t get anywhere else,” said company CEO Michael Kane.
In 2009-2010, Ei established a new management team behind Kane, with industry experts in manufacturing, formulation, regulatory, sales and human resources. In addition, Ei constructed and opened a new 165,000-sq. ft. manufacturing facility, adding the ability to produce NDA and ANDA products. Comprehensive testing and development labs were added, and best-in-class systems for safety, R&D, formulation, operations and project management were implemented.
More info: www.eisolutionworks.com
SC Johnson SettlesGreenlist Lawsuits
• SC Johnson has reached an agreement on two lawsuits regarding use of its Greenlist logo on US Windex products. The company will stop using the logo in its current form on Windex products, and the parties have agreed to an undisclosed settlement.
The suits were brought in federal court by Wayne Koh in California and by Howard Petlack in Wisconsin. SC Johnson’s use of the Greenlist logo was intended to signify that the Windex products had achieved the highest internal ratings according to the company’s patented Greenlist process.
However, the plaintiffs claimed it was not clear Greenlist was an internally developed process rather than that of a third party and that the logo implied the products included environmentally friendly ingredients. For its part, SC Johnson continues to insist that the Greenlist label met all applicable standards and regulations, and the company’s intention was in no way to mislead consumers.
Additionally, while the company disagreed with the plaintiffs’ claim about the impression created by the logo, the Windex products did, in fact, meet the company’s highest internal standards and the product ingredients are not harmful to the environment, SCJ said in a statement.
Glenn Moves To New Office, Appointed Rep for Evonik
• To accommodate its expanding corporate needs, Glenn Corporation, a member of The DeWolf Companies (DeWolf Chemical, Inc.–Glenn Corporation), moved its offices to the outskirts of Minneapolis, in nearby Lake Elmo, MN, in late June. The new state-of-the-art facility fits the current, and future needs of the growing company.
No contact information, with the exception of the new address (8530 Eagle Point Boulevard, Lake Elmo, MN 55042), has changed. All phone and fax numbers and email addresses are the same.
In other news, Glenn Corp. has been appointed the personal care distributor of Evonik’s inorganic materials product line in the South, Southwestern, West Coast and Midwest US.
More info: www.glenncorp.com
BioOrganic Concepts TapsEssential Ingredients
• BioOrganic Concepts announced today that Essential Ingredients has been named as a new distributor for its product line. Under the agreement, Essential Ingredients is the exclusive distributor of BioOrganic Concepts’ products to customers in the Eastern US.
BioOrganic Concepts, which is headquartered in Santa Fe Springs, CA, supplies a broad range of natural ingredients to the personal care industry. Products include the Dermatein sodium hyaluronate series, the Microzest plant pigments and Plantservative products.
WFFC To Honor Coca-Cola’s Mary M.G. Riddle on Sept. 22
• Women in Flavor and Fragrance Commerce (WFFC) will honor Mary M.G. Riddle, vice president, The Coca-Cola Company, at the 29th WFFC Open Dinner on Sept. 22at the Westmount Country Club in West Paterson, NJ.
As director, flavor ingredient supply for The Coca-Cola Company, Riddle manages the supply chain of ingredients used in the production of Coca-Cola products worldwide. She joined the company in 1970.
More info: www.wffc.org
Minnesota Students Honored For ACI SNAP Program
• Two Minnesota seventh-graders who created an elementary school lesson plan on good hand hygiene practices received a national award and $5,000 for their school to support the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) local chapter’s work on hygiene education.
Fulda High School students Taylor Schettler and Siera Steiner were honored July 11 at the annual leadership conference of the FCCLA in Anaheim, CA in front of more than 5,000 teachers and students.They received the Top Classroom Award from the Healthy Schools, Healthy People: It’s a SNAP(School Network for Absenteeism Prevention) program, a joint project of the American Cleaning Institute and the CDC. Schettler and Steiner, along with their teacher and FCCLA adviser Marcine Elder, were presented with a $5,000 check for their school, courtesy of ACI members.
The students received an all-expenses paid trip to Washington, DC and met their legislators on Capitol Hill and were also recognized during a ceremony at ACI headquarters.
More info: www.cleaninginstitute.org
DuPont, Tate & Lyle’sZemea Appoints SouthAmerican Distributor
• DuPont Tate & Lyle Bio Products’ 100% bio-based product, Zemea propanediol, is now available in South America via a distribution agreement with Sarfam, São Paulo, Brazil.
Zemea, developed for use in cosmetics, personal care and home cleaning products, is a sustainable alternative to petroleum-based glycols where the product’s lack of skin irritation, improved moisturization and excellent sensorial attributes are benefits. Zemea has been recognized by Ecocert and the Natural Products Association as an ingredient of natural origin.
More info: www.duponttateandlyle.com
Coast Southwest andFrutarom Team Up
• Coast Southwest, Inc. and Frutarom Incorporated have formed a distributorship alliance to bring Frutarom’s innovative line of skin beauty ingredients to the personal care marketplace in the western, southwestern and mountain regions of the US.
“Coast Southwest has a significant commitment to introducing unique and groundbreaking solutions to the markets we serve,” said Joseph C. Cimo, president of Coast Southwest, Placentia, CA.
Headquartered in Haifa, Israel, Frutarom is a rapidly growing international provider of flavors and fine ingredients with 27 research and development laboratories and 20 production facilities around the world, including manufacturing locations in California and New Jersey. The company has extended its extensive experience in nutraceuticals and herbal extracts to skin beauty and wellness through an innovative line of natural topical solutions for skin aging and UV damage prevention.
“Our first focus will be Alguard, a one of a kind, all natural skin active shield from red microalgae,” said Laurent Leduc, vice president of the USA health division of Frutarom USA.“As a core product, Alguard brings to the market green production through cutting edge technology and high environmental awareness, which are backed up by extensive scientific support for ultimate skin protection.
“Later, Coast Southwest will introduce Frutarom’s high quality ecological botanical actives, thereby presenting a comprehensive skin care portfolio,” he added.