NYSCC To Host Professional Development Symposium
• The NYSCC has scheduled its Professional Development Symposium for Oct. 19 at Montclair State University, Upper Montclair, NJ. Featuring top instructors from professional development organizations the American Management Association (AMA) and the American Chemical Society (ACS), there are four 90-minute sessions from a list of eight possible courses.
Course options include:
• Delivering Effective Technical Presentations
• Creativity and Innovation
• Effective Supervision of Technologist
• Influencing for Results
• Communicating Up, Down, and Across the Org
• Effective Technical Writing
• Project Management for Technologist
• Time Management
Centrally located on Montclair State’s campus in northeastern New Jersey, the Conference Center in University Hall is less than 15 miles from New York City and Newark International Airport. On campus parking is included in the registration fee. Direct train access is available from Penn Station to campus via NJ transit (Montclair-Boonton line, Montclair Heights stop). Plus,dozens of hotels are within 10 miles of campus, according to SCC.
Registration and continental breakfast begins at 8 am.
More info: www.nyscc.org/files/PDS_Educational_Providers_Info.pdf
IFSCC ConferenceSet For Oct. 31-Nov 2
• The 21st IFSCC Conference will be held Oct. 31-Nov 2 in Bangkok, Thailand. The theme of the event is “3E: Effective, Economic & Ecological Cosmetics.”
Keynote speakers include: Dr. Chika Katagiri, senior research scientist, Shiseido Co. Ltd., Japan; Dominique Moyal, international expert in photoprotection at L’Oréal; Prof. Dr. Rolf G. Werner, corporate senior vice president, Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH, Ingelheim, Germany; Maj. Gen. Krisada Duangurai, M.D., Phramongkutklao Hospital and College of Medicine, Thailand; Dr. Masahiko Abe, dean of Graduate School of Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Science, Japan;Dr. L. Gilbert, international open research director, L’Oréal, France; and Dr. R. Randall Wickett, University of Cincinnati, OH (SCC USA).
In addition to the main conference, there are two pre-conference workshops scheduled. The themes are “Patent Fundamentals and Strategies for Personal Care” and “Skin Whitening.” Both will be held on Oct. 31, according to IFSCC.
More info: www.ifscc2011.com
SCC Officer VotingBegins this Month
• SCC opens its officer voting period this month, and is encouraging members to participate as it provides an opportunity to have input on the governing body of the Society.
The following people are candidates for office the SCC: Dawn Burke Colvin and Nick Morante (vice president elect);Dawn Glaser and Debbie Pierce (secretary); Joseph Albanese and Alison Griffin (director, Area I); and Lisa Jones and John Oliver (director, Area III).
Ballots will be mailed on Oct. 15 and are due back on Nov. 15.
More info: www.scc.org
SCC MembershipBy The Numbers
• According to the SCC, 276 newly elected members and affiliates were added to the Society’s ranks between Jan. 1 and May 31, 2011.
As of May 31, the SCC had a total membership and affiliation of 4,168 (3,199 general members, 598 national affiliates 272 emeritus members, three honorary members, 37 retired members, 55 student members and four junior members).
Membership is up 2% over 2010, according to SCC.