CoverGirl Gets Rockin’ with New Faces
Pink is now a CoverGirl, signing a new deal with the P&G beauty brand.
“Pink is a powerful and provocative role model, who has always been an advocate of individualism and making no apologies for who you are,” said Esi Eggleston Bracey, vice president and general manager, CoverGirl Cosmetics. “That combination of irreverence and integrity is exactly what the CoverGirl brand loves about her and identifies with. We have admired Pink’s art and her attitude for years! We love the energy and confidence that she radiates, and the fact that inside and out she’s as cool as she looks. She’s an awesome addition to our CoverGirl family.”
Monáe, once called a “different kind of diva” by Vogue, will make her CoverGirl debut in the September issue of that publication.
“Ever since Janelle made her electrifying arrival on the music scene, she has captured our imaginations, stirred our souls, and made us all move our feet,” said Eggleston.
More info: www.covergirl.com
• Boldface Licensing + Branding, a celebrity beauty license company, has inked a fragrance deal with Mario Lopez. The license will move the actor’s Mario’s Rated M Underwear and Athletic Clothing line into the world of scented ancillary products such as deodorant, aftershave, shave cream, bath gel, body wash, body sprays, body lotions and body creams. An initial launch of EDT spray is planned and gift sets containing these items for holiday are planned, according to Boldface.
New online makeover app from Aveda.
• Aveda has unveiled its My Aveda Make-Over iPad application and web-based platform. Available through the iTunes store and at aveda.com, the free app allows guests to virtually change their hair color or style. Users can explore ideas for new looks by choosing from a rainbow of color offerings, created with Aveda Full Spectrum Professional Hair Color, and a library of hairstyles. My Aveda Make-Over also serves colorists and stylists as a consultation tool to help guests envision a new color, cut or style.
The app, which has an Aveda salon locator and can also provide live chats with Aveda experts, seamlessly syncs with the user’s existing Aveda.com account, according to the company, which is part of Estée Lauder.
• L’Oréal Paris has linked up with one of Mexico’s most prominent media personalities, Martha Debayle. Debayle will be the new face for Excellence Creme Pro-Keratine Hair Color.TV and print advertising campaigns featuring Debayle will begin running in September and appear across the US and Mexico in both English and Spanish.
With this announcement, Martha Debayle joins an all-star roster of notable Latina women representing L’Oréal Paris, including Jennifer Lopez and Eva Longoria.
• Mary Kay’s getting younger. The shortage of job opportunities and rising debt are two primary factors driving young adults and college grads to look for options to earn money while finding that first big job. Many are turning to Mary Kay, according to the Dallas-based beauty company.
In the past three years, Mary Kay has reported both an increase in sales and an increase in the number of people starting to sell Mary Kay beauty products.
More than 36% of new independent beauty consultants in 2012 are from the Gen Y (18- to 30-year-olds) segment, and Mary Kay reports that 94,000 total new independent businesses were started last quarter and more than 34,000 by Gen Y.
“Gen Y has a unique set of talents and career expectations,” said Sheryl Adkins-Green, chief marketing officer. “They are tech-savvy and digitally connected. They want to control their destiny and are not excited about a 9 to 5, one-size-fits-all position…Plus, Mary Kay’s social media presence and digital tools have proven to be extremely attractive business-building tools for Gen Y.”
• Sephora and color expert Pantone are rolling out Sephora + Pantone Color IQ, a new foundation matching service. Using Pantone’s color capture and measuring technology, the system scans the surface of the skin, assigns an official Pantone SkinTone number, and matches a scientifically precise foundation shade from Sephora’s 1,000 foundations, brands and formulas.
This exclusive service is currently available at Sephora 5 in New York City’s Times Square and the Powell Street shop in San Francisco.
• Dust-Off, Falcon Safety Product’s line of high-end screen cleaners, has signed former NFL football star Carl Banks as the brand ambassador.
Banks, who played from 1984 to 1995, is a member of the Giants teams that won Super Bowls XXI and XXV. After retiring from the NFL, Banks started a broadcasting career with Sirius NFL Radio, WFAN and he is an analyst for the radio broadcasts of the New York Giants. Banks is also the president of a clothing line, G-III Sports by Carl Banks.
“We are thrilled to bring in Carl Banks as the new brand ambassador for the Dust-Off screen cleaners,” said Phil Lapin, president/CEO, Falcon Safety Products, manufacturer of Dust-Off. “He is a positive role model and respected member in the professional sports community who can help us build our Dust-Off brand. ”
• Hawaiian Tropic made its first-ever appearance on the runway as the official sun care sponsor of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami. The iconic sun care brand featured its newest product, Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration lotion sunscreen, in the Mara Hoffman Swim Resort 2013 runway show and provided fans with exclusive access to behind-the-scenes action on its Facebook page.
The brand created a “skin hydration station” backstage to protect and moisturize models’ skin before they strutted down the runway.
More info: www.facebook.com/HawaiianTropic
• Through the month of August, in light of its commitment to Beauty + Strength, Dove invited real women to inspire each other by sharing their personal expressions of Beauty + Strength on Facebook.com/Dove. Participants who create an image evoking their definition of Beauty + Strength were rewarded with a chance to win a spa trip to Canyon Ranch in Miami Beach, and they received their image of what makes them feel strong and beautiful in the form of a downloadable Facebook friend mosaic which lives as the cover image in Timeline.
• Frederick’s of Hollywood is linking with supermodel Beverly Johnson to introduce The Beverly Johnson Luxurious Lifestyle Brand to Frederick’s customers. The collaboration began online at www.fredericks.com on Aug. 1 and starts at Frederick’s of Hollywood retail locations this month.
The Beverly Johnson Luxurious Lifestyle Brand includes Model Logic hair care, Beautiful Body by Beverly body care and Flawless Skin skin care products.
Frederick’s currently operates 118 specialty retail stores.
• American International Industries (AII) was honored at the Sally Beauty Supply Partners in Progress meeting that took place during CosmoProf North America in Las Vegas. For the third time, AII received recognition for increased sales, innovative products, creative marketing strategies and more, which can be seen in more than 2,500 Sally Beauty Supply stores.
• Be on the sniff for sandalwood this Fall, as the accord will make an appearance in some of the most highly-anticipated fragrance launches for men and women, including Taylor Swift’s Wonderstruck Enchanted, Donna Karan Woman, Dolce and Gabbana Pour Femme, Beyonce’s Midnight Heat, YSL Manifesto, Charming Charlie So Smitten and Tilly’s RSQ for Her.
• LA-based stylist Torsten Witte has been named Clairol Professional’s newest celebrity hairstylist.Witte, whose celebrity clients include Penelope Cruz, Michelle Monaghan and Miranda Cosgrove, is representing Clairol Professional’s new care and styling collection that hit beauty supply stores nationwide in August.
• Multi-channel retailer HSN and digital publisher Total Beauty Media Group have partnered to create Total Beauty Collection for HSN, a unique sampling opportunity for consumers. This is an extension of TBMG’s Total Beauty Collection sampling program and allows the entrepreneurial publisher to expand beyond the traditional publishing business and to continue to elevate brands in the most relevant way to drive product discovery and engagement among consumers.
Total Beauty Collection for HSN will exclusively feature eight deluxe-sized samples from popular beauty brands, including Lancôme, Amika, Boscia, Carol’s Daughter, intelliWHiTE, Lorac, Prai, and Signature Club A. It will be featured during HSN’s 24-hour on-air beauty event on Sept. 27.
• Tide has enlisted the help of Hollywood’s favorite 90 year-old, Betty White, for a makeover on its Tide plus Bleach Alternative detergent. Now, the product will be known as Tide Vivid White + Bright. The new name is designed to communicate the product benefit of keeping white clothing vivid and bright, wash after wash, said the company.
Besides answering questions on FaceBook, White will appear in national television and online advertisements, as well as on in-store materials.