HBA 2008: It’s a Wrap
Sixteenth annual event draws more than 16,000 beauty business experts to New York. HBA Awards presented to industry’s best and brightest.
For three days in September, one of the hottest places to be in New York City was the Jacob K. Javits Center. More than 16,200 industry executives gathered at HBA Global Expo, held Sept. 9-11, to hear from experts in their trade, explore new products on the show floor and get-up-close and personal with several new launches.
|(From l-r): Jill Birkett, event director, HBA Global Expo; Simon Foster, chief executive officer, International Media, producers of HBA Global Expo; Catherine Walsh, senior vice president, American Fragrances, Coty Prestige; and Michele Scannavini, president, Coty Prestige.|
Although overall attendance numbers remained flat compared to 2007’s show, HBA officials said there was increase in executives with brand management responsibilities, and according to Ms. Birkett, more than 3,500 of them were first time HBA participants.”
Kicking off the expo was the keynote address delivered by Nicholas Perricone, MD, a skin care pioneer who founded a leading company in the dermatologist skin care segment.
HBA also featured an extensive educational program addressing a wide range of marketing, product development and business strategy topics. During these sessions attendees were able to hear from and engage with speakers that included leaders from companies such as Avon, Zirh and Bath and Body Works. In addition, experts also included staff from consumer goods companies from outside—or on the fringe—of the beauty business, such Mattel and Dylan’s Candy Bar, which have or will dabble in personal care (Mattel’s Barbie teamed with M.A.C. while Dylan’s is set to launch bath products this month).
Top Packaging Awards
In addition to the annual trade show and conference, a continually popular event during HBA is the Industry Awards Dinner, which was held Sept. 9 at the Marriott Marquis. More than 600 industry executives gathered at the mid-town hotel to honor innovative leaders, and hear who won coveted International Package Design Awards (IPDA).
| L'Oréal's Skin Genesis took home top IPDA honors.
Other 2008 IPDA winners were:
• Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia Parfum by Estée Lauder (fragrance-prestige)—glass: Pochet, pump: Rexam, cap: Qualipac, base label: Topflight, setup box: Knoll, 4ml setup box: Landerer.
• Right Guard RGX Body Spray by The Dial Company (fragrance-mass)—submitted by Wallace Church, supplier: Exal Corp.
• Gillette & The Art of Shaving Fusion Chrome Collection by The Art of Shaving (personal care-prestige)—submitted by Burgopak LLC, supplier: Burgopak LLC.
• Lipophenol Vegetal 14 Day Body Refiner by Yves Rocher North America, Inc. (personal care-mass)—100ml bottle: Actipak, cap: Menshen, label: Imprim’étic JPL.
• Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder by Smashbox (cosmetics-prestige)—supplier: CTK.
• Infallible Lip Color by L’Oréal USA (cosmetics-mass)—submitted by Topline Products Company, Inc., supplier: Topline Products Company, Inc.
• Artistry Creme L/X by Access Business Group (skin care-prestige)—jar, closure disk for jar: Trophy Case, spatula: Yoshino Kogyosho Co. Ltd., bottom label: Grand Rapids Label Co.
• Soap Set in book box by Skinnyskinny (green packaging)—supplier: Distant Village.
Individual Achievement Honored
Accolades were handed out to for more than great packaging. During the awards dinner, individual achievements were also recognized. Honorees included Catherine Walsh, senior vice president, American Fragrances, Coty Prestige (Marketing Executive of the Year); David Prague, vice president, CPD Packaging, L’Oréal USA (Packaging Executive of the Year) and Dr. Robert C. Pierce, vice president, global R&D, Colgate-Palmolive (Product Development Executive of the Year.)
|Simon Foster, chief executive officer, International Media, producers of HBA Global Expo; David Prague, vice president, CPD packaging, L’Oréal; and Tony Spiliotopoulos, senior vice president, CPD operations, L’Oréal.|
Other awards included the International Technology Awards presented by Cosmetics & Toiletries with the Best New Technology Award going to Symrise and Cutech; and Best New Technology Launch Award to Sederma. The Recognizing Creativity Award presented by ICN went to Korres.
Mark Your Calendars for 2009
HBA Global Expo will return to the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City, September 15-17, 2009. More info: www.hbaexpo.com