Essential Wholesale & Labs
Essential Wholesale & Labs, located in Portland, Oregon, is an eco-conscious manufacturer and purveyor of natural and organic skin and hair care products & ingredients for beauty businesses, formulators, and DIY beauty enthusiasts. We are committed to creating premium natural products using good science and good sense, and establishing ourselves as an indie beauty knowledge hub for our customers to help their businesses grow. We source sustainable and responsible ingredients, power our facility with the sun, and work hard to minimize our environmental impact. Together, we create jobs, make great products, protect our environment, and have fun doing it.
Natural & Organic Cosmetic Formulator
The Essential Wholesale Cosmetic Formulator will be the primary contact for the Account Executives, Customer Service Representatives, and Compounders to bring inquiries and a key player in resolving any customer issues that may arise with regards to products. The position will also be partially responsible for the progress of custom projects by generating pre-production samples and providing assistance to the Compounding department.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Protecting the assets of the company by keeping ingredient information, methodology and formulary information confidential; complying with laws and regulations; engaging in ethical business practices.
- Identifying and supporting quality standards by determining customer expectations for new custom products; creating new products; conducting product stability tests; analyzing problems resulting from existing approaches and techniques, designing experiments, and evaluating test results.
- Maintaining technical knowledge through self-promoted research; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices.
- Maintaining a clean and safe work environment by following standards of organization; proper sanitation of equipment and surroundings.
- Generating accurate ingredient decks through paying close attention to details; cross-checking one another’s work; creating labels in Bartender.
- Aiding CSRs and AEs by providing formulary and technical knowledge; generating and providing requested documents; communicating closely to meet the needs of customers.
- Assisting in quality assurance through close comparisons between pre-production samples and production samples; generating product fixes for products that do not meet the standards of the Quality Assurance department.
- Contributing to the team effort by supporting training; recommending work standards; coaching employees; initiating, coordinating and enforcing systems, policies and procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- BS degree in Chemistry, or equivalent education or experience
- Demonstrated ability to create stable and aesthetically pleasing topical cosmetic products
- Computer competency with the ability to use MS Office and project management software (e.g. MS Project)
- Good math skills with the ability to add, subtract, multiply, div ide, compute rates, ratios and percentages, and convert units of measurement
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously and liaise effectively between all stakeholders
- Good negotiating and problem solving skills
- Typical office environment, including sitting at a desk working on a computer for long periods of time. There are frequent visits to the manufacturing floor with its odors, noise, chemicals, etc.