Better Homes and Gardens (BHG), along with market research firm BrandSpark International, recently revealed the 42 consumer product winners of the third annual Best New Product Awards, covering the health, beauty, food and household care categories. The winners were selected as part of an extensive BHG and BrandSpark American Shopper Study, which surveyed more than 60,000 consumers about the products that resonate with them most. Not only were winning products determined (see box), the survey revealed some information on which brands consumers trust—and why.
The trust of a brand is an important driver in all categories—topping out for health and beauty products with almost eight in 10 claiming its relevance in the purchase of products. According to BrandSpark, family influence—such as one’s mother or grandmother using a brand—has a very big influence on subsequent generations, according to the data culled by the group.
When it comes to the most trusted brands, the American Shopper Study found that P&G powerhouse brand Olay is one that resonates with the masses. Olay, at 24%, is the dominant brand in the beauty category, followed by CoverGirl (12%) and L’Oréal (8%), according to the study. The influence of family is key for driving Olay’s brand trust—intergenerational influences matter, said BrandSpark.
Olay is a favorite with BHG readers.
On the retail side, Walmart continues to lead as the known store for health and beauty products withTarget in second place, the BrandSpark study found.
In today’s economic climate, trust may be even more important to brands.
“While product trust is always important, given that consumers are more resistant to risks in light of the recent economic conditions, knowing that a product fulfills the product claims is very important,” Robert Levy, president and CEO of BrandSpark International and founder of the Best New Product Awards. “If economic conditions have increased product trial of value and store brands and consumers now trust those brands, this will create lasting impact.”
Febreze Destination Collection earned Best in Household Care.
Best of What's New
The 2011 Best New Product Award Overall Category Winners include two P&G products—Olay Professional Pro-X Intensive Firming Treatment, which netted Best in Show and Best in Health and Beauty, and Febreze Destination Collection Air Freshener, which was lauded as Best in Household Care.
P&G’s Olay brand also netted the top anti-aging moisturizer, facial moisturizer body wash for Olay Regenerist Micro Sculpting Serum, Olay Total Effects Cooling Hydration moisturizer and Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Advanced Anti-Aging Body Wash, respectively. Here is a look at the other winners in the health and beauty category:
• Curel Ultra Healing Lotion/Body Lotion
• Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Advanced Anti-Aging Body Wash/Body Wash
• Garnier Moisture Rescue Cleansing Foam/Facial Cleanser
• St. Ives Naturally Clear Green Tea Scrub/Facial Scrub/Towelette
• Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen SPF 70/Facial Sunscreen
• Pantene Color Nourishing Treatment/Hair Color Products
• Venus Bikini Trimmer/Hair Removal
• Garnier Fructis 3-Minute Undo Dryness Reversal Treatment/Hair Repair Treatment
• Pantene Fine Hair Solutions Triple Action Volume Mousse/Hair Styling
• Burt's Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil/Lip Care
• CoverGirl LashBlast Fusion Mascara/Mascara
• Old Spice Fresh Collection/Men's Antiperspirant
• Gillette Fusion ProGlide Razor/Men's Razors
• Dove Men+Care Comfort Body and Face Wash/Men's Shower Products
• Listerine Whitening Vibrant White/Mouthwash
• Pantene Medium-Thick Hair Frizzy to Smooth Shampoo & Conditioner/Shampoo & Conditioner
• Crest Extra White + Scope Outlast toothpaste/Toothpaste
• Secret Smooth Effects/Women's Antiperspirant
• Venus Embrace Disposables/Women's Razor
Here are the top names in household care:
• Mr. Clean Disinfecting Bath Cleaner/Bathroom Cleaner
• Finish Quantumatic Dish Detergent/Dishwashing Cleaner
• OxiCleanMax Force Power Paks/Laundry Product
The full list of winners will appear in the June issue of Better Homes and Gardens.