• Sustainability is a leading trend in the personal care industry, as consumers and product developers alike search for more environmentally friendly products. Even consumers who do not categorize themselves as extremely “green” are becoming more likely to purchase sustainable and environmentally friendly products if they are cost competitive and show similar performance to traditional products, say many experts.
Terraquat BD, new from Croda, is an ultimately biodegradable conditioning agent coupled with an excellent aquatic toxicity profile that delivers the performance of traditionally used conditioning agents, according to the company. This environmentally friendly product provides conditioning and detangling benefits to both rinse off and leave on hair care formulations and is even versatile enough to be incorporated into shampoo formulations, unlike other biodegradable conditioning agents currently on the market.
More info: www.crodausa.com
Naturex ToutsMoisturizing Active
• During HBA Global Expo, Naturex unveiled results from its latest study conducted on its moisturizing active, Aurealis. It is an extract of bitter orange flowers (Citrus aurantium L.), which is cultivated throughout the Mediterranean. Due to its specific profile, Aurealis helps the skin to maintain the balance of water diffusion/evaporation and enhance water retention via limited losses, according to the company. It is an ideal active for most moisturizing creams.
More info: www.naturex.com
Natural Soaps UseKemin Antioxidant
• Vanguard Soap, a bar and liquid soap contract manufacturer, plans to use Rosamox LC, an antioxidant from Kemin, to manufacture bar soaps with all-natural soap bases, according to the company.
Rosamox, a technology developed from a Kemin proprietary line of rosemary, works to prevent oxidative degradation of fats and oils. Rosamox LC was developed specifically for bar soap bases after extensive development and testing.
More info: www.kemin.com
UV Testing HelpAvailable from CPTC
• Consumer Product Testing Company (CPTC) has the expertise to help companies meet the new FDA requirements for over-the-counter (OTC) sunscreen products in the US. Consumer Product Testing Company is a worldwide leader in photobiology testing of sunscreen products for in-vivo and in-vitro requirements. The company is ready to assist formulators with their testing projects as they move forward with the requirements just announced by the US Food and Drug Administration.
More info: www.cptclabs.com
Brenntag Is Exclusive USDistributor of Biovelop’sOat Beta Glucan
• Biovelop AB, a Swedish company that specializes in the fractionation of grains and production of oat ingredients, signed an exclusive distribution agreement for its Avenacare oat beta glucan ingredient in the US.
Avenacare, which has proven anti-aging and rejuvenation properties in skin care and hair care products, as well as a soothing and anti-irritant effect in personal care products, will be distributed in the US by Brenntag Specialties, Inc. It is a specially developed liquid form of oat beta glucan.
More info: www.avenacare.com
Naturally DerivedThickener from Lubrizol
• The Lubrizol Corporation’s Noveon Consumer Specialties rolled out Glucamate VLT Thickener (INCI Name: PEG-120 Methyl glucose trioleate (and) propanediol). This naturally derived associative thickener reduces surfactant irritancy while producing superior thickening and a rich, creamy lather, according to the company. Ideal for use in baby shampoos, facial cleansers, liquid hand soaps, mild shampoos and shower gels, this corn-derived thickener is its mildest yet.
Due to its liquid form, Glucamate VLT thickener can be used in cold processing and its easy pump viscosity allows it to be added to the manufacturing process at any time, including post-addition.
More info: www.lubrizol.com/personalcare
Widelash Is NewFrom Sederma
• Eyelash length, thickness and volume are key attributes that bring a glamorous expression to the eyes. These benefits are enhanced in just 15 days with Sederma’s new active ingredient, Widelash.
Based on a matrikine complex, Widelash positively acts on accentuating the natural appearance of the eyelashes and their anchorage to reduce eyelash loss, according to the company. By fortifying the hair fiber and bulb, the rate of cell multiplication at the level of the root sheath is increased, improving keratinocyte synthesis and thus hair fiber production. The eyelashes look longer and thicker as demonstrated in vitro and in vivo.
In just 15 days, Widelash makes the eyelashes appear longer, fuller, stronger, and intensifies the natural beauty of the eyes, according to the company.
More info: (33) 134841010,email@example.com, www.sederma.fr;In the US, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.crodausa.com
New Skin CareFrom Carpe Diem
• Carpe Diem LLC continues to push the envelope with new innovative formulas that use clean chemistry in manufacturing skin care without sulfates, parabens, petroleum, glycols, 1,4 dioxane, phthalates, synthetic fragrance and other ingredients, according to Carpe Diem. Clean chemistry is different from the green/natural segment; it still uses high efficacy ingredients but goes further to replace harmful ingredients with safe and effective alternatives, according to the company.
More info: www.carpediemllc.com
Gransil EP-9 IdealFor Anti-Aging Products
• More women are looking for the immediate results of Botox without doctor visits and medical procedures. Products like wrinkle erasers that offer similar performance without the hassle related expense are gaining popularity due to their immediate effectiveness and value.
These types of products generally contain silicone materials (elastomers and powders) due to their versatile functionality and skin safety.
Touted as “The Miracle Worker for a Younger Appearance,” Gransil EP-9 (INCI: Polysilicone-11, water, laureth-12, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin) is a 60% emulsion of spherical elastomer powder. A controlled particle size of 2-4 microns offers enhanced aesthetics and improved formula dispersibility.
Gransil EP-9 technology offers a number of advantages over other materials including cost performance and ease of use. Ideally suited for “instant” soft focus effect formulations, Gransil EP-9’s performance comes from its concentrated elastomer content (60% Polysilicone-11). This concentration provides an intensified wrinkle filling and line blurring function to visibly diminish lines and wrinkles. In addition, soft cushion and silky sensory feel is experienced on application.
Gransil EP-9 can be combined with active ingredients to offer both immediate and long-term benefits in formulations. Ideal formulations include those designed to mask crow’s feet and under eye blemishes. Gransil EP-9 delivers an excellent non-tacky, non-oily, smooth feel to all applications areas. The end result leaves a powdery after feel on the applied area. The elastomer network also offers sebum absorption and control to soak up excess oils on the skin and T-zone areas.
This ingredient can be formulated into oil-in-water emulsions, water-in-oil emulsions, dispersions, and other formulating systems. For water-based formulations, Gransil EP-9 can simply be combined with the aqueous phase to create effective products, according to the company.
Gransil EP-9 has a globally approved regulatory status along with a non-irritating, non-sensitizing safety profile.
More info: www.grantinc.com