• BareMinerals has kicked off its nationwide “Go Bare” tour with a pop-up boutique-meets-lounge and a traveling team of complexion experts. The pop-up boutique mimics the brand’s new retail footprint.
According to the company, the tour is a one-stop shop for beauty tips, tricks, treats and more and will be setting up shop at a variety of community events and locations during their six-city tour running through October. The brand will offer complimentary foundation fittings, personalized application tips and deluxe samples to women across the US.
BareMinerals kicked off the tour April 25-28 in Washington D.C. as the official beauty sponsor of the Nike Women Half Marathon DC.
To provide a full-service experience, the brand will utilize a new mobile POS system to sell select products on-site and will offer a free eyeshadow with any purchase.
More info: www.gobaretour.com
• Ten lucky families are community heroes as a result of their participation in the Tom’s of Maine “Be a Tooth Fairy Hero” initiative, which asked parents and children nationwide to help raise awareness about the need for greater access to dental care.
Each winner earned $10,000 for a non-profit dental clinic in their state and a Tom’s of Maine natural toothpaste donation for their school. In total, the Dental Health for All (DHFA) program is distributing more than 5,000 tubes of toothpaste and $100,000 to help increase access to quality dental care for people in need.
“Our ‘Be a Tooth Fairy Hero’ initiative gave families the opportunity to help those in need with funding for a non-profit dental clinic in their state. We also encouraged kids to share their artistic interpretations of the tooth fairy,” said Susan Dewhirst public relations and goodness manager at Tom’s of Maine. “Every family that entered is remarkable for taking the time to do something to benefit so many others.”
The 10 clinics that will receive a donation are: Valley Community Clinic, North Hollywood, CA; The Sulzbacher Center, Jacksonville, FL; Blue Ridge Dental, Blue Ridge, GA; Gary Community Health Center, Gary, IN; Family Health Center, Louisville, KY; Health Care for the Homeless, Portland, ME; Edward M. Kennedy Community Health Center, Framingham, MA; Columbus Public Health Dental Clinic, Columbus, OH; Morton Comprehensive Health Services, Tulsa, OK; and Craig County Dental Center, New Castle, VA.
Tom’s of Maine created its Dental Health for All program more than 10 years ago. To date, Dental Health for All has helped make 200,000 additional patient visits possible with $1 million in funding to more than 30 school and community-based dental clinics, according to the company.
More info: www.tomsofmaine.com
• Mexican pop duo Jesse & Joy will kickoff their first US tour, “Latinos Imparables,” which is presented by Downy Unstopables in partnership with House of Blues Entertainment. The tour will start on May 22 in San Francisco and finish in Dallas on June 12.
“Jesse & Joy is one of the most exciting groups in Latin music today and we are pleased that they are headlining the inaugural ‘Latinos Imparables’ tour, presented by Downy,” said Manuel Moran, vice president, Latin programming and touring, Live Nation. “The partnership with Downy enables us to combine both companies’ resources to reach new audiences.”
According to P&G, the Downy team will be putting to the test the freshness power of Downy Unstopables by washing key wardrobe pieces from Jesse & Joy. At various stops along the tour, the garments will be pulled out from storage to show that they remain fresh.
The tour will have a full service marketing campaign, including featured placement across all Live Nation, Ticketmaster and House of Blues websites and email marketing; social media marketing, and special in-venue promotions. In addition, Downy and Live Nation Studios will create eight video segments for the tour.
More info: www.latinosimparables.com
• Dr. LeWinn by Kinerase has redesigned its website. Consumers can more easily navigate through tabs denoting the products, the brand overview and press hits, for example. The new site can be found at http://drlewinnbykinerase.com.
• Sebastian Professional has joined forces with fashion designer Mara Hoffman to create a limited-edition designer gift set. For Sebastian’s Brazilian-inspired spring promotion, Hoffman designed a printed scarf using the bold colors and graphic prints that have made her a favorite among celebrities and trendsetters across the world. The scarf will be accompanied by Sebastian Professional Volupt Shampoo and Conditioner and sold in a gift set exclusively available at Sebastian salons for $25 beginning this month.
• Yankee Candle has kicked off its Facebook March to a Million Golden Ticket Contest and limited edition candle in anticipation of reaching one million Facebook fans. The limited edition candle will be available for purchase through a special link on Facebook once the brand reaches one million fans. Fans that purchase the exclusive candle are also automatically entered into the drawing for the “March to a Million Golden Ticket Contest.”
The contest winner will receive an exclusive three-day trip to the company’s flagship store in South Deerfield, MA, including a meet and greet with CEO Harlan Kent. The winner will be announced via a personalized video from Kent, which will be posted on the brand’s Facebook and Twitter accounts on May 31.
• Hanson Skincare’s Scarfade, a line of topical scar gel products, is celebrating its 15th anniversary.
“Our first sale of Scarfade was April 20, 1998,” said Erik Hanson, vice president of operations of Scarfade.com. “We started by peddling our product to plastic surgeons in the US. Now the formula is sold worldwide under different trade names. We have grown tremendously since then, especially with the addition of our website and the increased use of the internet.”
One of the biggest changes for Scarfade over the years is that the product was originally available in only the 15g size. While that remains the most popular Scarfade item sold, it is also now available in 30- and 60g tubes. Other additions to the product line include Scarfade with Vitamin C, Scarfade Silicone Sheeting, Laserfade and the Scarfade Therapy Kit.
More info: www.scarfade.com
• AFAM Concept Inc., maker of Hawaiian Silky, has named activist and model Nicole Suarez as its argan oil ambassador/spokesmodel. Suarez, who is a correspondent for Univision, placed third in 2011 for the popular model competition Nuestra Belleza Latina. She will officially be introduced as the brand ambassador in a dual language TV spot (Spanish & English) set to debut in the second quarter. Print, transit and digital components will also be unveiled, according to the company.
• Scentsy has selected PayAnywhere as its exclusive mobile processing partner, making the PayAnywhere mobile app and credit card reader the mobile credit card processing tool of choice for its independent consultants across the US.
Headquartered in Meridian, ID, Scentsy sells its products through a field sales force of more than 200,000 independent sales representatives. With the app and reader, Scentsy can process credit and debit transactions from mobile devices.
• More mobile technology news: China Glaze has launched an iPhone, iPad and iPod touch app. The new app’s “Match A Color” feature allows users to take a photo and then browse through multiple options, from exact shade matches to related textures, from the brand’s treasury of more than 300 colors. There is also a fitting room, where they can select shades from the China Glaze closet. Users can determine which shade looks best on them by adjusting the nail length and skin tone to match their own hand and save desired shades to the device’s camera roll for easy reference.
All features on the China Glaze app allow users to share their favorite shades with their social media networks including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
More info: www.facebook.com/chinaglazeofficial
• During April, Clarins, FEED Projects and Macy’s teamed up to offer a “gift with purpose” to help combat childhood hunger. When a customer purchased two Clarins products, she received a limited edition FEED 10 pouch that included a six-piece beauty gift—and provided 10 school meals through the United Nations World Food Program.
Since 2011, Clarins has provided 1.5 million school meals through its partnership with FEED.
More info: www.clarins.com
• Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa has launched Red Door Spa Professional, a new spa-based skin care and body care line with active botanicals, antioxidants and vitamins that captures the essence of Red Door Spa and its most popular signature services. The line is the first comprehensive professional range designed to enhance and extend Red Door Spa’s luxurious and results-driven spa treatments for use at home.
Each of the 43 professional-grade products in the collection is formulated to serve an integral role in the Red Door Spa treatment menu and service protocols, according to Arden. The collection is divided into three specialized categories: Customized Daily Essentials, Targeted Intensive Skincare Solutions and Body Renewal.
• PartyLite is celebrating its 40th anniversary. The brand, which debuted in 1973, produces nearly 200 million candles a year and offers more than 600 different types of candles, home decor and home fragrance options each season. Nearly 55,000 people sell PartyLite products today in 18 countries.
More info: www.partylite.com
• EO Products has expanded its Everyone brand of natural-, plant- and essential oil-based personal care products. The lineup includes soaps, lotion, men’s lotions and soaps, and a skin care product called Everyone Face.
• All natural body, skin and hair care company Hugo Naturals is now Hugo & Debra Naturals. The name change will more closely reflect the vision of the seven-year old company’s founders (husband and wife Hugo and Debra Saavedra), the firm said in a statement. The company’s more than 150 SKUs have been gradually rolling out with new labels; all product labels are expected to change in May.
“Our unique company was created from the vision and work of two people, a husband and wife. It was our dynamic partnership that created this business, which has grown into something incredible, something very special. For several years, we have wanted our brand name to better reflect who we really are,” said Hugo Saavedra, company co-founder and CEO.
More info: www.hugonaturals.com
• Liquid-Plumr has brought its ad campaign to life by sending hunky plumbers to knock on five lucky winners’ doors with offers to help with household problems as part of its Liquid-Plumr House Call Sweepstakes, which runs through May 20.
The Clorox brand will award one weekly grand prize winner with $1,000, four hours of household project service from a vetted, qualified partner and a visit by two Liquid-Plumr hunky plumbers.
More info: www.facebook.com/LiquidPlumr
• L’Oréal USA is seeking nominations for the 2nd annual L’Oréal USA Women in Digital “NEXT Generation Awards,” an initiative that focuses on women working in digital marketing, technology and IT functions.
The program offers opportunities for women entrepreneurs to address the beauty industry with technology created by women that engage connected female consumers.
In 2013, the L’Oréal USA Women in Digital program will award three women-led companies with the opportunity to pilot their technology with L’Oréal brands; to be introduced to investors and executives; and receive mentorship from advisory board members and program partners.
Final nominees and winners will be selected using a scorecard judged by a panel of L’Oréal USA executives, venture capital partners, and L’Oréal USA Women in Digital Board of Advisors.
Additionally, through the L’Oréal Next Lab, all nominations will be considered for future partnership to continue its support of female-owned and co-owned technology companies.
More info: www.lorealwomenindigital.com
•Toppik treatments for thin or thinning hair are available at Sephora. Toppik natural keratin fiber is statically charged to bond to even the finest hair. It is said to be undetectable and is designed to withstand wind, rain and perspiration.
“Toppik is a well kept secret among beauty professionals because it instantly and naturally fixes the appearance of thinning hair. In the marketplace, we are seeing a growing openness about concern about thinning hair, even among younger women,” remarked Priya Venkatesh, VP of merchandising, Sephora. “Through our partnership with Toppik, we aim to fill an important void in beauty retail.”
• In celebration of the 2013 NFL Draft, which took place in New York City in late April, Tide planned to offer an endorsement deal to the first player drafted by each of the 32 NFL teams.
Tide also planned to reward fans with a unique gift that would be delivered via Twitter by each of the contracted rookies during the first and second rounds of the draft. The rookies were set to ask the fans to share what team colors mean to them by tweeting out using #AboutOurColors.
This marks the second year of Tide’s NFL partnership, which includes NFL rights as well as the rights of all 32 NFL teams.
• For a second year, I&I company SCA, maker of the Tork brand, sponsored the 5K Run for Clean Air, a certified-green run and the Philadelphia area’s largest Earth Day celebration. In its 32nd year, this event is a celebration of sustainable and healthy neighborhoods, clean air and improvements in the region’s overall environmental health.
• Parisian haute couture designer Nabil Hayari’s one-of-a-kind red gown—which featured embroidered Chantilly lace and Swarovski crystals—has been auctioned off for $3000, and the proceeds have been given to the American Heart Association.
Landmark New York City apothecary C. O. Bigelow featured the gown in its window during the month of February as a launching pad for a collection of perfumes by Hayari-Paris.
• Maylis de Gardelle is a new prestige cosmetics company. The brand is offering consumers the Eternal Luxe Collection of facial skin care products, which will bow in the Fall through select spas and retail locations.
A wholly owned brand of Fertile Biotech, LLC, USA, Maylis de Gardelle honors the legacy of its namesake, renowned French skin care expert, with updated formulas that incorporate advanced ingredients. A star ingredient in the line is Micro-pure AWTE, a proprietary white tea extract developed in the Fertile Biotech Laboratories. Rich in polyphenols, Micro-pure AWTE provides essential amino acids to fortify the skin’s natural resilience.
More info: www.maylisdegardelle.com