• DianaPlantSciences, an innovative player in concentrated actives production through plant cell culture dedicated to cosmetic, nutraceuticals and nutrition, has signed an accord with Solabia in which it will supply the firm with a novel bilberry extract dedicated to the cosmetic industry.
Thanks to its mastery in optimizing plant cells’ purity in active metabolites by selecting the best performing cell lines, DianaPlantSciences will supply Solabia with bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) cells rich in polyphenols, especially in procyanidins, which are almost colorless compared to the anthocyanins usually found in customary bilberry and blueberry extracts.
DianaPlantSciences will provide Solabia with a potent, highly innovative and differentiating raw material for the benefit of the final cosmetic product.
In the scope of this new partnership, Solabia will bring its expertise in extracting natural vegetal actives, know-how in substantiating the benefits of bioactives and its marketing experience in the commercialization of ingredients for the cosmetic industry, according to the company.
“This agreement highlights the complementary capabilities of two key actors whose expertises in the field of biotechnologies are converging to enable the commercialization of a highly innovative product which meet the consumer expectations for proven efficacy while preserving the environment and biodiversity,” said Marc Philouze, president of DianaPlantSciences.
An affiliate of Diana Group, DianaPlantSciences is an innovative and environmentally-friendly company based in Portland, OR. DianaPlantSciences develops potent phyto-actives and tailored organoleptic and functional solutions for the cosmetic, nutraceutical and nutrition sectors.
More info: www.solabia.com
Beauty Bus To Honor Nyx Cosmetics Founder
• Non-profit organization The Beauty Bus Foundation will hold its 4th annual Beauty Drive fundraising event on May 5. At the event, the group will honor the founder of NYX Cosmetics, Toni K., for her commitment to charity and the industry. Sponsors include Bosley Professional Strength, Jafra Cosmetics, Orly, Dorsey & Whitney, InStyler Professional and Qosmedix.
Last year, nearly $100,000 was raised at the event.
More info: www.beautybus.org
Takasago Upgrades Mint, Oral Care Capabilities
• Takasago Flavors, Rockleigh, NJ, recently completed upgrades to its mint laboratories and applications facilities in both South America and North America, enhancing the company’s oral care capabilities.
The Takasago Brazil facility in Vinhedo, situated just north of Sâo Paolo, features new laboratory and applications areas that complement the site’s mint flavor compounding facility. The newly expanded South American site is part of a “globally harmonized production unit” that is exclusively focused on oral care, especially in applications support for mouthwash initiatives.
Takasago’s technologies include Intensates flavors that provide cooling and warming sensations; Transatak malodor suppression flavors for fresher breath; Mintact synthetic mint flavors for stability and reliability; and Sensingle flavors for enhanced oral salivation.
In North America, the company has worked to increase liquid production capacity. A mint liquid production suite has been installed in a redeveloped area of the existing plant in Teterboro, NJ. The new, dedicated mint blending area features a range of large scale mint blending tanks and equipment that will increase Takasago’s mint blending to a much more significant capacity.
The Teterboro expansion comes on the heels of a number of other improvements and upgrades Takasago has been making to this site over the past four years, according to company officials.
The global Takasago organization maintains offices, production sites and research and development centers in 25 countries.
More info: www.takasago.com
L’Oréal’s ‘Fore The Children’ Charity Golf Outing Is Sept. 10
• L’Oréal USA Operations North America will hold its 6th Annual “Fore the Children” Charity Golf Outing to benefit Children’s Specialized Hospital Foundation on Sept. 10. The outing will be held at Fiddler’s Elbow Country Club in Bedminster, NJ, and will use all courses at Fiddler’s Elbow plus nearby Fox Hollow.
More info: www.childrens-specialized.org/lorealgolf2013
Genemarkers Is Called A ‘Company To Watch’
• Genemarkers, a Kalamazoo-based contract research organization that specializes in genomics, has been recognized as one of the 2013 “Michigan 50 Companies to Watch,” a program sponsored by the Edward Lowe Foundation, which is presented by Michigan Celebrates Small Business.
Genemarkers was honored at an awards ceremony during the ninth annual Michigan Celebrates Small Business event on May 2 in Lansing, MI.
“We are thrilled to be part of the Michigan 50 Companies to Watch,” says Dr. Anna Langerveld, president and CEO of Genemarkers, which offers gene expression profiling, genotyping and microRNA analysis. “We are proud that our team of experienced scientist has been selected for this honor.”
Companies making it to the “Michigan 50 Companies to Watch” are defined as having 6 to 99 full-time-equivalent employees and generating $750,000 to $50 million in annual revenue or working capital from investors or grants. Michigan-based judges from the banking, economic development, entrepreneurship development, industrial and venture capital communities selected winners.
Weiman Awarded ISO 13485 Certification
• Weiman Products, LLC was awarded ISO 13485 certification, which represents the requirements for a Quality Management System (QMS) for manufacturers and distributors of medical devices. Weiman Products, LLC is a leading supplier of custom formulations and private label cleaning and care products for surgical instrumentation and healthcare environments. The company also manufactures intermediate and high level disinfectants that reduce the risk of infection from cross-contamination by eliminating disease-causing microorganisms.
More info: www.weimanproducts.com
NPA Opens Nomination Process for Annual Awards
• The Natural Products Association (NPA) is accepting nominations for the 21st Annual NPA Awards. The awards salute industry pioneers and leaders for their accomplishments in science, the environment, advocacy, social responsibility and the industry at large, according to the association.
Nominations are being accepted for the following:
President’s Award—Presented to an individual or company that has made longtime contributions to the industry.
Burton Kallman Scientific Award—Presented to an individual for outstanding achievement in science related to the natural products industry.
Rachel Carson Environmental Award—Presented to an individual or company that has made significant contributions to the environmental community.
Lifetime Achievement Award—Presented to individuals outside the industry who have served as advocates for the natural products industry in policy and legislation.
Industry Champion Award—Presented to individuals who have made notable contributions to industry above and beyond commercial success.
Clinician Award—Presented to a licensed health care practitioner whose work exemplifies the best standards and dedication to responsible holistic, noninvasive and integrative/complementary/alternative-medicine modalities.
Socially Responsible Retailer Award—Presented to a retail store or stores within the industry demonstrating key aspects of social responsibility.
NPA members and others in the industry are encouraged to submit names for any of the awards. They also may nominate themselves for any awards for which they are qualified. A nomination packet with each category’s criteria, a list of previous winners, and a submission form can be downloaded at NPAinfo.org/awards, according to the association.
The deadline for submitting nominations is July 1.
More info: mkeaton@NPAinfo.org
Horn To Represent Air Products’ Rovi Line
• Effective immediately, Horn Essentials will expand its representation of Air Products’ personal care portfolio to include the Rovi Cosmetics product line.
Rovi Cosmetics, which has been a leader in the development of cosmetics actives and delivery systems in Europe, supplies the industry with Rovisomet, Cellular Actives, Cerasomet and Nanosome product families.
Horn’s current representation for Air Products’ in this market segment includes Intelimer temperature switch polymers, Deposilk “functional-feel” polymers and specialty additives.
“The addition of the Rovi Cosmetics product portfolio fits perfectly with our sales team’s technical strengths in delivering and presenting high-end and highly technical ingredients to our customers. We are very excited to take on this line extension into our current 11 western states territory,” said Christina Fiduccia, VP of sales for Horn Essentials.
More info: www.ethorn.com
2013 Natural & Organic Award Winners
• The winners of the Natural & Organic Awards 2013 were announced in connection with the Natural & Organic Products Europe trade show in the UK. Winners in markets covered by Happi included Herbfarmacy Ltd, Nail & Cuticle Oil (best organic beauty product); Natura Siberica, Baby Bath Foam for Newborns (best organic mother and baby product); and Pukka Herbs Nourishing Brightener (best innovation in organic cosmetics and best new natural beauty and spa product).
In addition to the winners mentioned above, other finalists in personal care/beauty/cosmetics included products from Lucy Annabella Organics, Green Frog All Purpose Natural Cleaner and Greenscents Organic Creamy Polish were named finalists.
Natural & Organic Products Europe, which launched in 1997, is the UK’s biggest trade show for the natural products, health food and organic sectors. It will return to London on April 13-14, 2014.
More info: www.naturalproducts.co.uk
ZO Skin Health Challenges Internet Diversion
• ZO Skin Health, Inc. has filed a comprehensive claim involving “big name distributors across the nation.”
“We have taken, and will continue to take, a very hard line against these opportunistic diverters and 3rd party internet pirates in their veiled crime activities,” said Jim Headley, CEO and president of ZO Skin Health, Inc.
“Our top concern is the huge risk this illegal conduct poses to consumers and our loyal physician customers,” he continued.
Headley made it clear in earlier suits filed regarding unauthorized internet sales that the company is “fiercely committed to protecting our reputation for high quality products crafted through years of research and cutting-edge science. Tracking black market dealers is expensive and difficult; however, it will not dissuade ZO Skin Health, Inc. from taking legal action against theses brandjackers to protect the consumer, the physician, and the brand.”
In ZO Skin Health, Inc. vs. John Does 1-10 (Case No. 30-2013-00639976-CU-BC-CJC), which was filed March 27, 2013 in Orange County Superior Court, the company contends that it does not permit the sale of its products on unauthorized internet sites including Amazon.com and eBay. Charging that some of its authorized distributors have violated the sales agreement, which clearly prohibits the resale of the product on the internet, ZO Skin Health, Inc. demands removal of all products from the illegal internet sites and seeks damages to be determined by the court.
ICIS World Surfactants Conference Is May 16-17
• The third ICIS World Surfactants Conference will be held May 16-17 at the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City, NJ.
This year there are three “summits” focusing on three essential themes of economics, consumers and technology, according to the conference organizer.
The Economics Summit will deliver exclusive content relating to feedstocks and markets, pricing and economics and what is really driving profits and growth at various points of the surfactant value chain globally. Six companies lead the discussion with original research and analysis in this summit.
The Consumer Summit will examine the market from the point of view of major users of surfactants as well as the consumers themselves in the supermarket aisles. Implications for surfactant makers and sellers are presented by five companies operating at the front line of the consumer market.
The Technology Summit, which is the most popular summit of prior conferences, will occupy over one third of the airtime with a package of presentations and analysis that to date has not been available in any other forum, according to ICIS.
Pulling all three themes together, this year’s keynote address comes from Solvay. Having recently combined with Rhodia, Solvay has emerged as a leading global surfactant company, operating through its Novecare Business.
More info: www.icisconference.com/worldsurfactants
• Private equity firm Swander Pace Capital has completed the acquisition of Caleel + Hayden Holdings, Inc., the company behind gloProfessional. Swander Pace acquired the minerals company from private equity firm North Castle Partners.
The personal care company serves more than 5,000 dermatologists, cosmetic surgeons, aestheticians, spas and salons both domestically and internationally, as well as select specialty retailers. The company recently launched a line of hair care products under the gloEssentials brand name.
Swander Pace’s current portfolio of beauty, personal care and over-the-counter health products companies includes Gilchrist & Soames and Insight Pharmaceuticals. The firm also owned Prestige Brands among its other investments in the broader consumer products space.
“Swander Pace’s reputation and track record with respected brands in the beauty and personal care field is impressive,” said Sean Butler, president of gloProfessional. “Through this partnership, we look forward to tapping their expertise and insight as we collaborate to maximize gloProfessional’s growth.”
“We’re excited to continue to build our growing beauty and personal care portfolio with such a respected brand,” said Swander Pace managing director Mo Stout. “gloProfessional is a leading, research-driven product of choice in the professional channel and enjoys a strong consumer following. We look forward to partnering with the management team to guide the company toward continued growth and success.”