“This unsubstantiated story has been around on social media for some time and has never been reported to us by any family or any individual,” said Velvet Gogol Bennett, a P&G spokeswoman.
According to a Nov. 25 article on Smag31.com, a Mexican woman’s 2-year-old died after she rubbed Vicks VapoRub on his chest, back and under his nose to help him breathe. The website claimed that a subsequent medical report “stated the child died due to inflammation in the respiratory track, produced by the camphor contained in the famous ointment.”
Facebook has flagged the Smag31.com article as “Disputed by Associated Press." Still, the Smag31 article has been “liked” 191,000 times by readers.