Retailers continue to go their own way, rolling out innovative store brands to attract loyal shoppers as competition heats up between brick and mortar and online retailers.
This trend is evident in the personal care & wellness, health care and home & household winners in PLMA’s 2018 Salute to Excellence Awards program. Judges selected 15 nonfood items for awards among more than 500 new store brands items which included food as well as nonfood submitted for evaluation by panels of industry professionals and consumers.
Among the personal care winners are Trader Joe’s Cucumber Avocado Body Butter, Walgreens C.Y.O Eyeshadow Palette Rainbow Warrior Colors, Costco’s Kirkland Signature Triple Blade Razor & Cartridges, and Walmart’s EquateT Beauty Rainfall Bath Gel. In health care, Thrive Market was recognized for its Coconut Sunscreen Lip Balm. Walgreens’ Suncare Family Pack won for children’s health care. In home & household, Trader Joe’s won for its Lavender Tea Tree Scent Liquid Dish Soap and Thrive Market for its Bamboo + Recycled Bath Tissue. Here's a list of the winners:
Personal Care and Wellness
• Body Care & Hair Care—Trader Joe’s Cucumber Avocado Body Butter
• Beauty Care & Cosmetics—Walgreens C.Y .O Eyeshadow Palette Rainbow Warrior Colors
• Baby—Target Cloud Island Diaper Bags
• Men’s Grooming—Costco Wholesale Kirkland Signature Triple Blade Razor & Cartridges
• Bath & Shower—Walmart Equate Beauty Rainfall Bath Gel
• OTC—Albertsons Signature Care Emoji Adhesive Bandages
• Sun Care & Toiletries—Thrive Market Coconut Sunscreen Lip Balm
• Children—Walgreens Suncare Family Pack
Home & Household
• Home & Garden—BJ’s Wholesale Club Berkley Jensen Folding Wagon with Tray
• Laundry & Cleaning—Thrive MarkectLiquid Lavender Laundry Detergent
Retailers and wholesalers across the US, Canada and Latin America were asked to submit their new store brands products for consideration. The products were reviewed in light of trends in the category, the markets in which the retailer operates and what competitors were offering. In addition to innovation and product concept, products were also judged on sensory qualities, packaging and presentation, and value for money. All the winning products will be on display at PLMA’s 2018 Private Label Trade Show, to be held November 11-13 at the Rosemont Convention Center, near Chicago. The event is the largest private label exhibition in North America, attracting more than 11,000 attendees, including buyers, visitors and exhibitor personnel.