The R&D Tours were developed and will be hosted by Cosmetic Chemist Rouah al-Wakeel. Focused on the key topics in the industry today, the three topics will be:
• Biotechnology Actives (sponsored by Mibelle Biochemistry): An insightful tour with a focus on next-generation ingredients developed using molecularly-identical, natural ingredients.
• Leadership in Microbiomics (sponsored by Givaudan): Harnessing the beneficial nature of the body’s natural bacteria is already familiar in food and drink. Now skin care and cosmetics formulators are using skin-friendly bacteria to create ingredients promising healthier and more radiant skin.
• Natural Ingredients: Although hugely fashionable, these ingredients face strong demand for proof of safety, as well as transparency of sourcing, production processes and use of EWG ratings. This tour looks at a range of new, paraben-free ingredients, and those created without synthetic ingredients and fragrances or nanoparticles.
Attendees on the tours will hear commentary about the latest ingredients in each area, as well as be able to ask questions throughout the session.
The In-Cosmetics Asia Formulation Lab sessions enables attendees to interact with top ingredient experts revealing the secrets of their winning formulations. This year’s free-to-attend program is curated by the Institute of Personal Care and will include 10 in-depth sessions with ingredient suppliers. During each session, cosmetic chemists will learn practical techniques and how to achieve various outcomes using the same ingredient. A limited number of places in the Formulation Lab can be applied for on the day.
Day 1 (Tuesday, October 30):
• 11.00-12.00: Dr Carsten Dietz, R&D/quality director, Cosphatec GmbH takes the floor to demonstrate how to create a soft, anti-pollution, highly caring and stable anti-aging skin elixir.
• 14.30-15.30: Alex Jiang, APAC technical service manager, Evonik Speciality Chemicals (Shanghai) Co Ltd will demonstrate Rheance glycolipids, the new class of all-natural ingredients produced by a unique fermentation process.
• 16.15-17.15: Advanced hair care courtesy of Genadvance is the subject of the last session in the series led by Luciana Rodrigues, global application development manager, Global Competence Center Hair Care, Clariant SA.
Day 2 (Wednesday, October 31):
• 11.00-12.00: Valerie Vergani, regional technical manager, Grant Industries, offers a closer look at non-whitening, high SPF, high sensory formulations with Halal compliance.
12.45-13.45: Virginie Boulier, marketing and application lab manager at Sensient Cosmetic Technologies, will introduce formulators to Aquasens, a pigment dispersion in water media for aqueous-based makeup.
14.30-15.30: Next-generation hair care comes under the spotlight with Hemant Deshmukh, senior scientist, hair care at Ashland Speciality Ingredients. He will present the company’s sulphate-free micellar cleanse and moisturize shampoo.
16.15-17.15: Simplifying skin care formulations to achieve elegant textures & milder products is the subject of this afternoon session with Bee Yan Tan, technical manager, Lubrizol Southeast Asia (Pte) Ltd.
Day 3 (Thursday, November 1):
11.00-12.00: Aron NT-Z is an award-winning ingredient. In this session, Manami Kumagai, formulator, Cosmos Technical Center Co Ltd, Nikkol Group Nikko Chemicals will demonstrate how it can be used to create an emulsion paste that melts like ice-cream when applied to the skin.
14.30-15.30: Sitanun Rattanavattanathorn, market development manager, Cosmetics Asia, Merck Ltd, invites formulators to experiment with various smart cosmetic ingredients to create personalized beauty products.
16.15-17.17: Attend this session delving into natural surfactants led by Belinda Carli, Institute of Personal Care, and receive a free natural surfactant formulation guide booklet.