Beauty rituals and must-have ingredients for flawless summer skin:
• Products that calm inflammation and redness from sun exposure contain actives that restore the hydro lipid film and nourish with amino acids to moisturize and restore skin. SEPICALM™ S contains Sodium Cocoyl Amino Acids & Sarcosine & Potassium Aspartate & Magnesium. According SEPPIC, these actives bring pleasure and comfort to sensitive and irritated skins through complete anti-stress protection.
• Products containing actives like licorice, kojic acid, bearberry extracts, niacinamide, Vitamin C and retinoids are effective in treating and correcting sun induced hyper-pigmentation, sunspots and other skin discolorations.
• Marine algae extracts rich in bioactive compounds have been found to contain anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that make it an ideal ingredient for summertime moisturizers. Hydrating moisturizers containing hyaluronic acid and collagen peptides also protect and nourish skin.
• Lotions containing at least 10% shea butter are an excellent choice for summer time moisture. Shea butter, in addition to being a great moisturizer, contains naturally occurring sterols and triterpene esthers that soothe inflammation and accelerate healing of sun scorched skin. Shea butter also contains 5% sunscreen, providing an additional layer of sun protection.
• Cleanse – During the hot and humid summer months, sweat and dirt can build up, causing pores to become clogged and acne breakouts on face chest and back. Cleansing products containing 2% salicylic acids are ideal to unclog pores for a clear complexion.
• Protect – Sunscreen must be applied frequently and correctly in order to get the right amount of coverage to protect against skin damage. Sunscreen with SPF 30 or more is ideal. It is recommended that a nickel size amount of sunscreen be applied to face and approximately 30 ml. on the body. Sunscreen can breakdown or be watered down by sweat and water, and needs to be reapplied often
Updating a beauty regimen and products during the summer months is the key to beautiful skin. Ultimately, the best plan for sun protection is to stay out of the sun, especially at high noon. Wearing hats and other protective clothing is also recommended. Finally, it’s important to emphasize the importance of staying properly hydrated by drinking lots of water. Proper hydration flushes out toxins and helps create a healthy glowing complexion.
About The Expert
Funlayo Alabi is the co-founder of Shea Radiance, a natural beauty brand dedicated to transforming hair, skin, thinking … and lives into something more beautiful than what it was before.An integral part of Shea Radiance is to empower the 16 million African women who are picking and processing Shea nuts and butter, and connect them with women around the world who benefit from their artisan craftsmanship. She spent nearly a decade working on all-natural product formulations for Shea Radiance, with the objective of perfecting a high-percentage of shea butter formulation. Funlayo is a global business leader who speaks domestically and internationally on matters of international business, market and economic access for African women, Africa’s agricultural sector and shea butter.
Shea Radiance was founded in 2008 by Funlayo Alabi on the premise that women need to care for themselves and each other. Shea Radiance crafts artisanal skincare and haircare products that are all-natural with the purest, small-batch, women-sourced shea butter from West Africa as a primary ingredient. Shea Radiance promotes the power of community and empowerment for women around the globe.