Sales: $1.7 billion
Key Personnel: Christian Courtin-Clarins, president, supervisory board; Dr. Olivier Courtin-Clarins, president, managing board; Jonathan Zrihen, chief executive officer.
Major Products: Clarins skin care and cosmetics, ClarinsMen and My Blend skin care, Azzaro, Mugler and Swarovski fragrances.
New Products: Skin care—Multi-Active Day and Multi-Active Night; Color—Joli Rouge Brillant and True Radiance SPF 15; Sun care—Self Tanning Milky lotion; Fragrance—Azzaro Solarissimo.
Comments: The plant’s the thing at Clarins. Each year company researchers study about 300 new plants from around the world, testing each to uncover a new active for its cosmetics and fragrance formulas. That formula has worked for more than 60 years. The company was founded by Jacques Courtin-Clarins and is now run by his sons Christian Courtin-Clarins and Olivier Courtin-Clarins. Last year, the next generation moved into company headquarters as Jenna Courtin-Clarins joined the group as foresight and new concepts manager, and Virginie and Prisca Courtin-Clarins joined the managing board.
Next generation thinking was certainly behind the launch campaign for Multi-Active Day and Night creams. Through #WorthTheWrinkle, Clarins encouraged women to be authentic and not shy away from experiences that make their lives richer. The company partnered with digital content production agency Makers and enlisted four of their top influencers across beauty, fashion and lifestyle to capture and share their #WorthTheWrinkle moments through a series of videos.
Last year, skin care and makeup accounted for 71% of sales, with fragrance making up the remaining 29%. By region, Europe, Middle East and Africa accounted for 57% of sales, followed by Asia-Pacific (23%) and Americas (20%).