According to Ecovia, some of the key outcomes of the summits were:
- Move from linear to circular design models. Cosmetic and personal care products should be created so that materials can be re-used or upcycled at the end of their lives.
- Growing array of natural ingredients. While a range of functional ingredients are now available for natural skin care products, the use of such natural ingredients brings formulation issues like stability and performance.
- Sustainable sourcing. Greater questions are being asked about the origins, extraction and processing methods of cosmetic raw materials. There is already pressure for agricultural-based materials to be sustainably sourced.
- Traceability and sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- Plethora of ethical labels.
- Resource efficiency to zero-waste.
- Tackling ocean plastic.
- Novel green materials.
- Plant cell technology.
More info: sustainablecosmeticssummit.com