Sales: $10.5 billion
H. Fisk Johnson, PhD, president, chief executive officer and chairman; Tim Bailey, chief operating officer; Mark Eckhardt, chief financial officer; Richard Murray Thomson, vice chairman
Air Care: Glade, Oust and All Joy; Home cleaning: All Joy, Bayclin, Bon Ami, Brillo, Ceramicol, Drano, Duck, Echo, Fantastik, Freedom, Goddard’s, Klaro, Lysoform, Mr. Muscle, Pledge, Roma Coco, Scrubbing Bubbles, Shout, Windex; Pest Control: Autan, Baygon, Off!, Chemotox, Fuyi, Pyrel, Raid; Shoe Care: Kiwi, Class, Golden Rooster, Salamander, Tana, Woly; Auto Care: Carnu, Grand Prix, Kit; Lifestyle: Babyganics, Caldrea, Ecover, Method, Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day, Oars & Alps, Sun Bum; Professional: SC Johnson Professional, Deb
Duck Active Clean Solid Rimblock, Glade PlugIns Plus, Mr. Muscle Probiotic, Method Men; SC Johnson Professional AgroBac Pure Foam Wash for Food Handlers; Sun Bum Summer of Love collection, Sun Bum skin care
Comments: Privately-held SC Johnson is one of the biggest players in the household and industrial and institutional (HI&I) cleaning market. The company’s brands such as Fantastik, Shout and Windex have been in demand as consumers stayed indoors during the pandemic. SC Johnson has made bank through its partnership with Plastic Bank. Earlier this year, Plastic Bank said it reached a milestone of stopping 1 billion plastic bottles from entering the world’s oceans.
“Plastic waste entering our oceans is one of our greatest global challenges. At a time when the world is calling for greater responsibility, this significant milestone is evidence of our ability to make deliberate environmental, social and economic impact,” said David Katz, founder and CEO of Plastic Bank. “Our partnership with SC Johnson has been instrumental in transforming Plastic Bank from a little engine to a train that is driving change around the world.”
Through the first quarter of 2021, SC Johnson and Plastic Bank:
- Created more than 250 collection points across Indonesia, the Philippines and Brazil since 2018 with plans to expand further to Thailand and Vietnam by 2022;
- Stopped more than 10.4 million kilograms of plastic, the equivalent of more than 500 million plastic bottles, from disrupting ocean ecosystems; and
- Provided more than 15,000 people with additional income.
Last year, SC Johnson’s efforts to reduce plastic was highlighted in the Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s second annual report on the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment, a set of targets uniting more than 450 businesses, governments and other organizations to address plastic waste and pollution.
“SC Johnson teams are continuing to create products and packaging that give consumers more sustainable options,” said Fisk Johnson, chairman and CEO of SC Johnson. “We all have a responsibility to address this critical environmental issue, but equally none of us can solve this challenge alone. It will take a unified effort from business, government and civil society to create a circular plastic economy.”
In association with the Global Commitment, SC Johnson is pursuing a series of goals to accelerate its progress to tackle plastic waste, including:
- Triple the amount of post-consumer recycled (PCR) plastic content in packaging by 2025, including Mr. Muscle and several other product lines. Today 14% of SC Johnson’s packaging is PCR, up from 6% last year.
- Continue to remove excess plastics wherever possible. SC Johnson has eliminated 2,575 metric tons of unnecessary or problematic plastic packaging since 2018, including 875 metric tons since last year.
- Make 100% of its plastic packaging recyclable, reusable or compostable by 2025. Currently, more than 62% of SC Johnson products are designed for this, and the company is expanding concentrated refill options and refill trials with Ecover through Waitrose and Sainsbury supermarkets.
- Continue to work with industry and other organizations to support circular plastic economy models and keep plastic out of landfills and the environment.