“Laundry packets are different and need to be handled differently. While these products are convenient and easy for consumers to use, it’s vital for parents and caregivers to use and store these products safety and securely,” said Nancy Bock, ACI senior vice president of education.
Bock offered the following safety reminders regarding single-load liquid laundry packets:
- Do not let children handle laundry packets
- Do not puncture or pull packets apart
- Store out of child’s sight and reach
- Keep the container closed and dry
- Packets quickly dissolve upon contact with water, wet hands, or saliva
- Packets can rupture, releasing contents into eyes
“It is possible to prevent accidents involving these products and prevent a trip to the doctor’s office or emergency room,” said Bock, who serves as vice chair of the National Poison Prevention Week Council.