By Matthew Preece
Within the walls of the iconic and fashionably historic shopping destination of Los Angeles sits one of the cities best kept secrets, The Fred Segal Salon. So, what's the hottest trends for Spring/Summer 2013, as seen at the salon? Styles that are versatile will be key...
- Bangs, Bangs and More Bangs: Though lengths will range, the trend is heading towards short yet expressive bangs. The contrast will be the perfect compliment for long straight hair and they are ideal if you are looking for a change but don't want to loose your length. Bangs always make a great statement!
- Classic cuts are a sure thing but low maintenance Short Sassy and Choppy styles will be more of the rage this season. They are becoming more popular with today's girl on the go!
- For those who prefer longer styles, staying in line with 'ease of style', Quick and Easy Up-Do's are the way. A quick 'twist' and a clip and you're out the door! There is versatility with this as well as you can style it to be sleek and neat or boho-chic messy! Pony tails and buns will also stay on the radar. Making a strong comeback in 2012, they will gain more momentum in 2013, as the variety of ways you can style a simple pony tail can be endless!
- For color, as we head into Spring and Summer, people will shed the darker tones of Fall and Winter for natural and lighter colors suitable for Spring and Summer. Solid Tones of reds and blonde will be the front runners this season. However, do not be afraid to add high lights to give that hint of depth.
- For maintaining Color Treated Hair, use a shampoo and conditioner that is specially formulated to protect your color from fading and that will keep it healthy and shinny. Try Chroma Captive Shampoo and Chroma Captive Conditioner by Kerastase. These products were developed to retain the luster and shine of your color treated hair.
- Most importantly, getting your hair back in shape after the winter doldrums is key. For Repairing Damaged Hair, try deep conditioning treatments like Masquintense or Masque Substantif by Kerastase. These products help to repair your hair from the damages suffered during the harsh winter months and prepares it for the effects of the upcoming Summer elements.
About the expert
During this time, Preece also ventured into two different business partnerships but it was with the second partnership that proved the most successful as he revisited a familiar space:Fred Segal Hair in Santa Monica. Preece and his then partner decided to rent out the space, turn it into their own salon and successfully managed it for a number of years.
After becoming the sole owner, Preece was asked by the principals at Fred Segal to head up and re-launch their namesake salon.For this, he drew on his experiences from the past and channeled it directly into the Fred Segal re-launch. What resulted was a mecca of sorts for not only locals but celebrity clientele such as Brooke Burke, Robert Downey Jr. and Leann Rimes among others.