Some of the takeaways from the Dove data:
Men's Hair Habits
• 60% of men named frequent washing as the key to maintaining strong, healthy hair
• More than 60% of all men style their hair every day and prefer to use hair gel, hair spray or pomade
• 90% of guys look in the mirror to fix their hair at least once a day
Men's Hair Identity
• 8 in 10 men believe their hair is a reflection of their personal style, which helps them look both masculine and professional
• 1 in 5 men have been jealous of a friend's hair and 1 in 3 men wish they had hair like their friends
• 6 in 10 men wish their hair looked both stronger and healthier
Surprising Hair Facts
• 7 in 10 men wish the man bun would go away
• Men named soccer players as the type of athletes who have the best hair
• 1 in 5 men would give up drinking for a month for stronger, healthier hair
To shed light on the 2017 Men's Hair Census, Dove Men+Care Hair partnered with W. Kamau Bell, critically acclaimed comedian and author, who traveled the nation to dive deep into cultural topics that are rarely addressed. Bell is now applying his critical eye and light-hearted tone to explore a topic men shy away from talking about – their hair.
"I never knew guys cared, or thought, as much about their hair as I did, until reading the new Dove Men+Care Census," said Bell. "Hair is a big part of my identity and the Census really proves how, as a culture, guys are putting an importance on the look and style of their hair. It's been really interesting for me to explore. I was surprised that men from all walks of life held hair in such a high regard, and yet reflect their identity through hair in many different ways."
It's evident that hair is central to a man's identity, which is why Dove Men+Care created a range of wash and care products for all hair types, to help every man maintain stronger, healthier hair.
"We know from our Census data that real men across the country are almost unanimously united in how much importance they place on hair," said Piyush Jain, VP-hair care for Dove Men+Care at Unilever US. "Dove Men+Care understands that men have a variety of needs based on their unique hair concerns, and maintaining hair strength is at the center. The Dove Men+Care shampoos and 2-in-1s are designed specifically to address all of his hair concerns such as thinning, cleansing and scalp issues, while also making hair stronger."
Men can take better care of their hair by connecting with Dove Men+Care on www.dovemencare.com and the Dove Men+Care Facebook and Twitter pages, and by following the #DoveMenCareHair conversation on social media.