In a statement, FDA said CBD has the potential to harm consumers, and harm can happen even before they are aware of it. CBD can cause liver injury and can affect the metabolism of other drugs, causing serious side effects. Use of CBD with alcohol or other Central Nervous System depressants increases the risk of sedation and drowsiness, which can lead to injuries.
Furthermore, CBD can cause side effects that that consumers might notice. These side effects should improve when CBD is stopped or when the amount ingested is reduced. Changes in alertness, most commonly experienced as somnolence.Gastrointestinal distress, most commonly experienced as diarrhea and/or decreased appetite. Changes in mood, most commonly experienced as irritability and agitation.
FDA notes that there are many important aspects about CBD that remain unknown such as:
• What happens if you take CBD daily for sustained periods of time?
• What is the effect of CBD on the developing brain (such as children who take CBD)?
• What are the effects of CBD on the developing fetus or breastfed newborn?
• How does CBD interact with herbs and botanicals?
• Does CBD cause male reproductive toxicity in humans, as has been reported in studies of animals?