EWG empowers consumers to make more informed decisions about their health, the environment and the products they buy, through research, education and advocacy. With almost 2.4 million annual visits, EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaners database is a helpful tool that consumers can use to make healthier purchasing choices for themselves and their families.
Obtaining the EWG Verified Mark
Products earn the EWG Verified mark by obtaining a score of an A or a B in EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning. The manufacturer must also disclose all intentionally added ingredients, including those used in fragrance.
Products must also meet air quality standards and pass microbial challenge tests to ensure they will be shelf stable, making healthy cleaners a reality for consumers.
“The EWG Verified mark prevents companies from hiding potentially harmful ingredients behind vague terms like ‘fragrance,’ ‘preservative’ and ‘cleaning agent,’” said Nneka Leiba, vice president of healthy living science at EWG. “This allows consumers to know what’s really in their products, so they can avoid the toxic and potentially harmful chemicals widely used in household cleaners. We are thrilled that the EWG Verified program continues to grow.”
EWG Verified cleaners must:
- Avoid EWG's ingredients of concern. Products cannot contain any ingredients on EWG's "Unacceptable" list, meaning ingredients with health, ecotoxicity and/or contamination concerns.
- Provide full transparency. Must meet EWG’s standards for ingredient disclosure on the product’s label and website, and provide full transparency to EWG, including fragrance ingredients.
- Use good manufacturing practices. Product manufacturers must develop and follow current good manufacturing practices to further ensure the safety of their products.
Other EWG Verified Products
- Revlon recently launched the first mass cosmetic product that meets EWG clean beauty standards.
- Codex Beauty’s skincare line, BIA, recently obtained Cosmos Organic certification for five products and four EWG Verified certifications.