- Procter & Gamble, Tide Eco-Box: Tide has reimagined its 50+ year old detergent with a breakthrough Eco-Box packaging designed specifically for eCommerce and shipping directly to consumers’ doorsteps. Tide’s Eco-Box revolutionary packaging is 60% less plastic than the equivalent bottle (150 oz.) and contains an ultra-concentrated formula. On top of having less packaging, Eco-Box doesn’t require any secondary re-boxing or bubble wrap. The Eco-Box also delights consumers with a no-drip tap that is easier to use and less messy than other liquid packaging.
- Henkel’s Epix Technology for Sustainable Packaging: a paper-based, curbside-recyclable package that optimizes weight, size and impact resistance for shipping. The innovation reduces processing costs and features a revolutionary lightweight cushioning material. Epix Technology facilitates recyclability of the paper package and is part of Henkel’s strategy for a circular economy.
- Werner & Mertz GmbH and Mondi Group, Sustainable, 100% Recyclable Frosch Pouch: Developed to replace its previous multi-material flexible packaging for various products, the new mono-material PE film was developed to be 100% recyclable by eliminating barriers and adhesives that can prevent recyclability. The package’s decoration is printed on a PE-film. Refilling an existing Frosch-bottle by using this pouch saves up to 70% material.
- ProAmpac and L’Oréal, Redken Flash Lift Bonder Inside: L’Oréal and ProAmpac reimagined the Redken Flash Lift Bonder Inside to minimize material use and maximize functionality. The newly designed spouted flexible pouch only requires a developer to complete the application process, giving users a portable, useful alternative to multiple rigid containers. A unique curved spout prevents powder fumes and guides product into the easy-open lid that doubles as a measuring cup for added convenience.
- Truman’s, Starter Kit: aims to provide an alternative to single-use plastic bottles for household cleaners, because only 15% of single-use household cleaner containers land in a recycle bin in the United States. Each of Truman’s cleaners are made with a concentrate and cartridge system that enables consumers to repeatedly refill the bottle with water from their sink. Each cartridge is fully recyclable and uses up to 96% less plastic than a typical cleaning product.
Gold Award Finalist:
- Reckitt Benckiser, Finish 0%: a fully recyclable pouch with an all-polyethylene (PE) structure. The company had to work through some common challenges for PE to formulate it properly for recyclability, functionality and performance. The company was able to use existing lines to process the new PE material, requiring no additional capital investment for new machinery.
Silver Award Finalists:
- Weener Plastics, 100% PCR Dish Soap Cap: the first plastic hinged cap made from up to 100% post-consumer recycled (PCR) polypropylene (PP) for dish soap containers. Some PCR materials have a limited range of functionality and colors, but Weener’s overcomes that to help brands stand out with a vibrant PCR dish soap cap that offers a flip-top lid for a better consumer experience.
- Procter & Gamble / Gillette, Joy Razor: a new women’s razor brand that make shaving refreshingly simple. It brings a high quality shave – at a pleasantly surprising price. Sold exclusively at Walmart, the package is a folded carton box intentionally designed to appeal to consumers seeking a straightforward brand experience and features a novel pizza box-style opening. The packaging is supply chain friendly, made entirely from renewable and recyclable SBS paperboard covered in water-soluble printing and varnish.
- Unilever, Love Beauty and Planet: Unilever's first vegan beauty brand. Launched in the United States in 2017, the brand is currently present in 28 countries. Untested on animals, using 100% recycled plastic bottles, made from natural extracts and certified by Vegan Act and PETA, the brand aims to democratize vegan beauty and products, and bring together a community of consumers who want to take care of themselves, while doing good. Sustainable in its DNA, Love Beauty and Planet aims to minimize its environmental footprint in a holistic way by paying attention to all aspects of the product journey, including ingredients and packaging, valuing beauty with purpose.
E-Commerce Honorable Mention:
- Procter & Gamble (China) Sales Co. Ltd., E-commerce Packaging: Procter & Gamble (China) Sales Co. Ltd. created its Ship In Own Container (SIOC) as e-commerce continues to grow in importance, requiring protection for products during transportation. Traditionally, companies have protected their shipping products with multiple boxes, which requires significant material use and cost. However, this innovation uses tailored configurations of corrugated cardboard, boxes and trays to cut down on material use while maintaining protection during shipping and enhancing the consumer experience. The resulting design helps reduce material complexity and waste, cuts end-to-end costs by 20% to 40%, improves fulfillment center picking and packing productivity by 200%, reduces damage and leakage rates during shipping by 70% and eliminates 30% to 60% of paperboard in the packaging.
The Diamond Award went to Dai Nippon Printing Co. Ltd. for its DNP Functional Film Complex PET Plastic Bottle.